Blue Mountain Baptist Church has over 80 years of ministry in our area. Different names, location, pastors but always the same strategy going to the heart of the city and bringing people to Christ and His church. Our roots began in a small missions minded church in New Westminster called Sapperton Baptist. In 1920 members from Sapperton started a regular Sunday School in the Fraser Mills Town Hall, above the mill store near the present location of Toys-R-Us. In 1944, “Fraser Mills Mission” erected a church building with voluntary labour about a mile up the hill on Allard Street, in Maillardville.
A 3.96 acre former gravel pit and public works yard was purchased for our present site at the corner of Austin and Blue Mountain In 1960. The church manse on Austin was completed in 1963 and the sod turned for the new sanctuary. The Allard Street property was sold. The first service was held in May 1964.
The church building at our current site was dedicated May 31, 1966. The mortgage was burned in 1971 and the plan for a seniors manor took shape. A gym and additional classrooms have also been added to our building over the years.
More recently, significant renovations were made to the outside of the building, the foyer and the sanctuary between 2002 and 2004.
We recently celebrated our 50th year of ministry at the corner of Blue Mountain St and Austin Ave. We are thankful for God’s many blessings over these 50 years, and look forward to many more years of serving God and His work in this community. Below is a video celebrating our 50 years of ministry.